30.9.10

From squishy newborn to cheeky monkey


Once a little bean that simply ate, slept and pooped, over the past couple of months Little Red has really started to boost his character. Of course he always had some semblance of a personality - he began life with quite a penchant for art, spending most of his "awake" time gawking at the paintings and prints that adorn our walls (I've since bought him his first piece of art, none other than Mickey to Tiki Tu Meke by the brilliant Dick Frizzell - but don't get too excited, it's not a limited edition). He was also born with a strong appreciation for good music (Duran Duran and NOFX if you ask Nick, The National and Wilco if you ask me) - flailing his arms and bopping around whenever a song came on. Although having said all this, I'll put down my pretentious stick now and admit that he probably just liked the colours and the noise. It's probably a breath of fresh air seeing and hearing things other than the inside of my belly and the muffled sound of my horrendous rendition of All That Jazz in the shower each night.

The first time he smiled was amazing - from that one simple, cheeky grin oozed as much charm and charisma as a baby can have and I knew then that I had a wee monkey on my hands. Since that day he's begun to laugh and giggle - at Nick's new found "Dad Dance" (which consists of a few knee bobs and far too much pointing), our never ending game of Peepo or, most of the time, nothing at all. He also turns on the pizazz like nobody's business. Recently we've been house hunting and he never fails to render the real estate agents gooey putty in his tiny wee hands. Funny how he screams his head off in the car on the way over (not such a fan of the car seat) only to flutter those big blue eyes and grin from ear to ear as soon as we've reached said house.

His most recent tricks are by far the cutest things I've ever seen. I now have no doubt that by four months old a baby knows a little about how to get what he/she wants. Well, this one does at least. Little Red's first gag is to grab your attention and grab your attention he does! Leave him for a bit on his play gym or in his baby bouncer and once he's gotten a tad bored he'll start with the chatting which then turns into a bit of a growl and then moves onto a barrage of shouting at the poor unsuspecting caterpillar hanging from the play gym. This continues until you look over at him and suddenly he stops only to put on the sweetest, warmest smile you've ever seen and then follows that up with a satisfied sigh and a gentle coo. And as soon as I see this smile, well, I'm all his. 

His other favourite game is the boo-boobie game. This generally only takes place when there's another person present and he doesn't have my 100% attention. Once he's had just enough to satiate himself (but not quite enough to keep him full and happy for the next three hours) he begins the break-up-the-conversation battle. It goes a little something like this.... 

*Feed, feed, feed. Oh no! Mummy's not watching me! Pull off and stare at her until she realises I'm not latched. Ah yes, she's looking now. Big grin, big giggle, big nuzzle and then back to feed, feed, feed. Oh no! She's stopped watching again! Right, I'm pulling back off and staring again. Haha! Look at me, Mum! Grin, giggle, nuzzle, feed feed feed*

And so on. This continues until I apologise to whoever else is in the room, put the conversation on hold and keep my eyes glued to the boy (no tricking, Mummy. I can see you out of the corner of my eye) until I'm satisfied that he's so stuffed he's now grinning in all his milk-drunk glory.

Maybe he knows he's doing it, although it's probable that he doesn't - he's simply being the darling wee bairn he was put on this earth to be. I love the fact that my boy's a little monkey, that he's got personality plus and the only thing he needs to do is flash me a grin or bat his eyes and I turn to mush. The giggles, the coos, the squeals and the cheekiness - it gets me every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some sugar!