25.7.10

Aromatherapy makes for magical Mamas




Not just airy-fairy hogwash, aromatherapy is fast becoming a popular natural alternative for many ailments - from stress to headaches, cold and flu to skin conditions. In my second and third trimesters I had the enormous privilege of being a case study for the absolutely divine Gillian Parkinson of Le'Essience.

Aromatherapy was something I knew a little bit about. Growing up, my Mum had massaged lavender into my temples to help me sleep, put jasmine in my baths to relax me and made inhalations of eucalyptus or peppermint when I had colds. Even though these practices had always "worked" for me, I put it down to the fact that these oils were more of a comfort than anything with healing properties. But then I met Gillian.

I've always been slightly (OK, quite) highly strung and am easily prone to anxiety and depression, not to mention the fact that I suffer from hideous knots in my shoulders and a hugely unstable lower back. Pregnancy didn't really.... suit these traits of mine hence my jumping at the chance to be a case study when I began to get a little panicky over the unknown and very, very sore! One session was all I needed - I was sold. I left that afternoon feeling as though I was walking on clouds.

Each essential oil has many different healing elements. I started tucking a tissue with a couple of drops of tangerine and ylang ylang in my bra each day (great for anxiety, stress and depression) and found work was a lot easier to bear, particularly in those last few weeks. I rubbed lavender onto my temples for headaches and across my cheeks for sinus tension. Alongside weekly massages with gorgeous, personalised blends I felt totally zen and new age - like I should be sitting cross-legged beneath a shady tree making daisy chains, nodding my head to some Creedence Clearwater Revival and calling my son River.

Towards the end of my third trimester, I developed PUPPPs (Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy) aka the closest thing to torture I have ever experienced. More common in women carrying boys, it's caused by your hormones colliding with baby's hormones and the result is nothing short of horrid and cruel. Starting on my stomach and sides, I developed this hideous rash (red and welty, ew) that then spread to my thighs, butt and finally my arms. I have never been so itchy in all my life. I would scratch and scratch until I thought my skin would fall off. I would go to bed each night with a bag of frozen peas on my tummy, and a bag of frozen veges on each thigh, although this had its drawbacks when one night I woke up in a puddle of melted, squashed peas.

I tried vitamin E and oatmeal moisturisers, calamine lotion, Dettol cream, Bepanthen and aloe vera. The doctor prescribed me antihistamines and steroid cream, both of which did absolutely nothing. I was about to resign myself to spending the rest of my pregnancy either in a bath full of ice or a straight jacket when Gillian flew to the rescue with a blend that calmed the redness, all but diminished the welts and, most importantly, completely halted the need for manic scratching - all within two days. I was now free to live the rest of my pre-baby days blissfully itch-free and kissing the feet of dear Gilllian - the woman deserves a medal.... a shrine, even.

As well as this amazing feat, I had blends to upkeep my now knot-free shoulders, smooth my skin and keep stretchmarks at bay, soften my perineum (pregnancy's not all glamour, after all - plus, I only needed a few stitches thanks to this blend) and help bubs along should he bake for too long, all meticulously measured out with oils that were personalised to my very pregnant state. And you know what? They all worked. 

These days, I'm a complete convert - my first port of call for anything is aromatherapy. Little Red enjoys his post-bath massage with his own special blend, I swear he sleeps like a comatose drunk afterward and I now treat myself to a Mummy massage with Gillian every fortnight that keeps me stress and anxiety free (it's also doubly cool now that I can lie on my tummy). The few stretchmarks I had are fading, my sinuses are now delightfully clear and our house constantly smells like lavender, ylang ylang or jasmine and Little Red, Nick and I are all dreamily relaxed and lovely.

So ladies, if you get the chance, milk aromatherapy for all it's worth. Find a decent aromatherapist, stick to it and your glowing Mama aura will brighten with every passing day. One caveat though (and this is important), while baby's still baking you will need to work alongside a trained aromatherapist - essential oils are powerful things and some should not be used while you're pregnant.

2 comments:

  1. You were a lovely client Caitlin :-) Very committed and followed the instructions so well!! Thank you for the lovely write up! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're more than welcome! It's all true! x

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some sugar!