21.7.10

A note on childbirth....

So it seems my post about the pains of childbirth has unsettled a few people. Fortunately, there are other mothers out there who have read it and said "Thanks, finally an open and honest account". Here's what I have to say - I didn't write it to freak anyone out (especially expectant Mums and I apologise to any of you who I've upset or scared), I didn't write it to get up on my birthing high horse and say listen to me! I know all! I merely wrote my account of my childbirth. 

Everyone's birthing experience is different. Mine was hard and painful but that doesn't mean yours will be. I know many mothers who've had a less-than-stressful experience and I know many mothers that have had a hell of a time. My cousin, after reading the post yesterday, told me about her sister-in-law who had a very traumatic birthing experience after which she felt really angry for a few days that the women in her life didn't tell her how awful it can be. And to be honest, that's how I felt. In fact, before I went into labour I was even excited for it because from what I'd been told, it wasn't actually that bad and I thought, I'll be fine! I wasn't prepared at all

So, I don't mean to upset any women out there and I certainly don't mean to scare anyone. As I said in my first post, the most important thing you can do as a new mother is share your feelings and that's what I've done. I appreciate the feedback I've had on this post and I'm glad you guys were open and honest enough to tell me that actually, it made you feel nervous and scared. But just remember, this is just one experience out of billions. Talk to other mothers and ask about their birthing experience. 

The main thing is - be prepared and keep an open mind. Yes it's sore, but when it comes down to it, it's just a tiny, tiny window in the enormous expanse that is your life and the end result far outweighs the labour. It's worth it. It's so, so worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Ironically Caitlin, the night after I first read your blog was the first night I felt ever so slightly anxious about the birth of my baby. However, this was just a coincidence, you didn't freak me out, I'm just taking it in my stride. I'm actually looking forward to the experience and yoga has definitely helped me become more zen about impending labour and childbirth. Recommend it to any mum-to-be xxx
    PS Shall re-post on this specific subject in 10 weeks or so ..........

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some sugar!