15.10.10

Help! In desperate need of some "solid" advice!



To all the mamas out there - 

Little Red is just over 5 months now and showing all the right signs for starting solids. He's shoving everything in his mouth, making chewing motions, gawking (and grabbing!) at our food and is still hungry after his milk feeds, not to mention waking earlier and earlier each morning for his feed.

Yet, we've been trying for just over a week now and every time he seems to be less and less interested. At first he would push it out with his tongue. Then he started to swallow some of it. Now he's gone backwards and has begun the "motor boat game" or he just clamps his mouth shut - and I'm making sure I do the solids thing when he's at least a little hungry, i.e. about an hour or so after his milk feed.

I started on pumpkin and that went down like a cup of cold sick. I then moved onto Watties Organic apple and apple/banana which he was swallowing for a wee while but now spits out. I thought sticking to one flavour for a few days would ease him into it, but nope! I tried him on some pumpkin/kumara today for lunch (pureed to the point of liquidity) and again, my face got more of it than his tummy did.

I'm not sure what to do and need some help. Do I stick with it and hope he gets his head around it? Do I put it on hold for a week or so and try again? I figured he'd take to it like a duck to water seeing as he's quite the little piglet but I was wrong...

What to do, what to do? If you have any tips then please, enlighten me!

Miss Bonnie x

6 comments:

  1. I think just keep at it, hes still learning and experimenting Luca was pretty similar still even does the motorboat from time to time too :S He LOVED and still does the Only Organics range now hes finally keen on Watties where at first he screwed up his face. I think we started Luca on the more fruity yummy types first then moved on to veges once he got the hang of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll come. At this age it's more about experimenting with new tastes rather than eating lots. Until 8/9 months it's still important to have milk first as the main source of nutrition. Have you heard/ read about baby led weaning? Worth googling if not. It's messy but babies are able to chew and eat alot more than most realize. Babies love to explore new textures as much as tastes. Steam a broccoli floret till it's really soft and let baby suck away at it! Some babies are quite independent and even with a spoon they would rather be passed a full spoon than have someone put one in their mouth. My 7 month old grabs the spoon at the messy end and the food goes all over, but she loves it. I find the kitchen sink great for a quick clean after (which she loves!). Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your advice! I guess I just expected it to be easy but as we all know, nothing with a baby is easy!

    @Sarah - I've heard of baby led weaning so will read up about it and give it a go, I think. Bubs has always been independent and you're right, it's more about experimentation than actually eating! So I think I'll just be a bit more relaxed from now on and led baby bear show me how it's done ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby Led Weaning rocks. Didn't know about it for my first child, but loving it for my second. Six months old here's what she had today: Breakfast: whole weetbix soaked in milk. Banana (not mashed, whole). Lunch: mandarin segments and rice crackers. Dinner: A fish finger. Oh no, no vegetables, bad mummy. But will make up for it tomorrow. I agree with Sarah, it is a mess but so cool. I love watching her chowing down intently on her food like a little puppy gnawing a bone. Definately a good idea to read up on the principles before you start, to give you the confidence to not freak out about gagging etc and avoid any foods that are hazardous. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right! You've inspired me! BLW starts tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah I'd keep trying as its not about the nutrition at this point. I didn't try BLW but know a chick who's bubba refused to be fed with a spoon so she had no choice. Its just the grabbing of mum and dads plate part that i don't like.

    good luck!

    (i hate it when they wake up early all hungry!!)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some sugar!