8.11.10

The food conosseur - solids take 2

After a rather rocky start on the solids train a couple of weeks ago I made the executive decision to halt proceedings for a wee while. Not only was I getting frustrated, Little Red seemed to be going backwards rather than forwards and we were smack bam in the middle of moving house. I figured hey, it ain't going to hurt either of us if we take a step back and go back to solely boobie feeding - once we were settled in at the new place and all was peace, love and harmony again we'd have another shot.

The final box was unpacked last Thursday and the finishing touches put into Redford's bedroom (yes that's right! He now sleeps in his own room like a real big boy) so on Friday morning I thought OK, it feels good, let's do it. And away we went! A few days shy of hitting the 6 month mark (it's his half year birthday tomorrow - eek, my little man's growing up!) we hit solids with a vengeance. 

Day One started with mashed banana (unfortunately no photos, the camera was M.I.A) and then we moved onto a slice of apple later in the day....

 It ended up in the nose...

  then in the mouth "Hrm, I guess this is OK...."
 
  but in the end it was a lot more fun to play with.

Day Two was pureed pumpkin and kumara. Not as popular as the banana but it still went down alright. Most importantly though, this was the beginning of the spoon love affair.


Day Three was Only Organics Fruit Muesli which was by far the favourite. The spoon relationship is now in full swing. The Stars & Stripes look was unintentional but oh so patriotic.
 
  "It's OK for you to feed me with a spoon, Mum. As long as I get my own too."
 
  "Oh spoonie, I love you so!"

"We shall never be apart again."

So the solids have been a success thank goodness! As long as the button gets his special spoon - it must be this spoon, none other will suffice - everything is rainbows and lollipops. It's pretty cute really. Very cute, in fact. All these new tastes and textures to explore and what can I say? This time he's really taken it in his spoon obsessed stride.

Post Script: The Fruit Muesli which was the firm favourite has unfortunately been banished to the back of the cupboard for a while - gluten on a sensitive wee tum only two days into the journey made for many tears, a rock hard torso and a very red-faced attempt at pooping to no avail. My poor wee bean! So we'll be laying off wheat and gluten for a bit, fingers crossed I don't have an intolerant baby though, I myself have a very strong love affair with carbs!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous pics! I remember having to use FOUR spoons with one of my girls - one for each of bubba's hands, which I'd rotate with full ones - with lots of 'ta' to get bubs to give up the spoon without a fight!

    Not using much spoon action with bubba number 3 - she's all finger food at the mo.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some sugar!